Monday 22 July 2013

Giant Sequoias.

I've been learning about the giant sequoia trees in California -the giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) and the coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens).
I'm really interested in these kinds of trees because they're so big and I feel connected to them.

I found this website of the first sequoia trees that were found and cut by Europeans 

This tree was cut down in 1853 and they used the trunk for a dancefloor.

It makes me sad that they had to cut down these beautiful trees.
I'm glad that they don't cut the sequoias down much any more.

Here's a picture of me as a baby with my mum at the sequoia trees in California. 


3 comments:

  1. Hello Little Tree. :) I've been reading about you for years through your mom.

    I live in California near the redwoods. I grew up in the Santa Cruz Mountains. We get Coastal Redwoods instead of the Giant Sequoia's but when you are standing next to them as a little girl it doesn't matter. :)

    I hope you get to visit our forest again some day. These trees really are magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sequoias! They are so beautiful. I love the photo you posted of you and your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Little tree, I have been following your moms blog for ages. Last month my daughter and I visited California and spend a day visiting a redwood forest called Muir Woods. The trees are beautiful and pretty big there too. When I was younger I was lucky to visit and DRIVE THROUGH a giant redwood in California Redwood Forest. IT WAS AMAZING :D

    paintorperish.com

    ReplyDelete